COLLEGIATE VETERANS SUCCESS CENTER NEWS
The University of Florida is ranked 5 out of 1,429 for veteran friendliness of all colleges and universities reviewed by College Factual. This means UF is in the top 10 Best for Vets school in the United States and has achieved this ranking two years in a row.
The University of Florida is ranked 1 out of 39 colleges and universities reviewed by College Factual for veteran friendliness in Florida. This means UF is the best school for veterans in Florida and has achieved this ranking two years in a row.
The University of Florida was chosen as a TOP SCHOOL in the 2017 MAE&T (Military Advanced Education and Transitions) Guide to Colleges & Universities research study for a second year in a row.
UF earned a Military Friendly® Gold award for being a Tier One Research Institution with outstanding programs and support for our nation’s veterans and their families. This is the first time UF has received this recognition! The names of awardees will be published on militaryfriendly.com on December 8 and will be printed in the December issue of G.I. Jobs® or Guide to Military Friendly® Schools. Award levels are defined as:
- Top 10 Gold – Ranked list of the Top 10 in a category based on numerical score
- Gold – Scored within 20% of the last-ranked (10th) organization.
- Silver – Scored within 30% of the last-ranked (10th) organization.
- Bronze – Scored within 40% of the last-ranked (10th) organization.
The University of Florida was named to Victory Media’s 2017 Military Friendly Schools for the second year in a row.
Make sure to check your charges due on MyUFL. If you are being charged fees for health insurance fees, please contact Charlotte Kemper by phone 352-294-7215 or email Charlotte.Kemper@va.gov
Make sure to grab your tickets for Gator Growl with Snoop Dogg taking the stage on October 6 at 5PM. Visit www.gatorgrowl.org for a full list of events for homecoming!
The CVSC is open from 8am – 8pm, Monday through Thursday and 8am – 5pm on Friday’s.
Like the Collegiate Veterans Success Center on Facebook
Follow the Collegiate Veterans Success Center on Twitter
EVENTS AT THE COLLEGIATE VETERANS SUCCESS CENTER in YON HALL 418
9/11 Day of Service – September 11 from 11am – 2pm
- Stop by the Collegiate Veterans Success Center on Monday, September 11 from 11am – 2pm to help transform 9/11 into a day of unity, empathy, and service. This event will serve as an enduring and positive tribute to the first responders, recovery workers, volunteers, and members of our military who were lost and injured on 9/11. Participants are encouraged to bring toothpaste, toothbrushes, hygiene products, and snacks in order to create care packages that will be delivered to Veterans in the Gainesville community. This event will also provide an open and safe space for participants to express their thoughts and feelings surrounding 9/11. Lunch will be provided! Visit our Facebook event for more information!
CVSC Open House and Resource Fair – September 13 from 11am – 2pm
- The Collegiate Veterans Success Center, located in Yon Hall 418, serves student veterans at the University of Florida by providing a designated location on campus for student veterans to study, meet with on campus and community resources, and spend time with and support each other in a fun and relaxing space. Stop by the Collegiate Veterans Success Center on Wednesday, September 13 from 11am – 2pm to meet with other student veterans, tour the Center, and meet with campus/community resources! Lunch will be provided! Visit our Facebook event for more information!
Accenture Campus Recruiting – September 25 from 11:30am – 1pm
Success Academy Charter Schools Campus Recruiting – September 26 from 11:30am – 1:30pm
The UF Study Abroad Fair is an opportunity for you to learn about different programs that enable students to take their education across the globe. Speak with program directors and former study abroad students to find the right program for you! Come out to the Reitz Union North Lawn on Wednesday, September 20 from 10AM-3PM and discover your study abroad possibilities.
The Florida Alternative Breaks Issue Fair is schedule for Thursday, September 21 from 6 pm – 8 pm on the Reitz North Lawn. Do you want to start your Florida Alternative Breaks journey? Come to Issue Fair, where it all begins! We will be releasing our social issues and you can meet the Site Leaders for this coming year. We have FAB trips going all over the Southeastern United States! Sign-ups are first opening at this event, so don’t miss it!
The Fall 2017 UF Volunteer Organization Fair is scheduled for Tuesday, September 26 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Reitz North Lawn. The Volunteer Organization Fair provides a place for students to find information about social issues and service opportunities they are passionate about. Each semester, over 60 community service organizations and non-profits attend. Learn more online at http://www.leadershipandservice.ufl.edu/…/volunteer_organi…/
Alachua County Veteran Services, in collaboration with multiple area agencies and organizations, will host the 2017 Veterans Resource Fair and Homeless Veteran Stand Down on September 15, 2017, from 9:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M. at the Martin Luther King Jr. Center (1028 NE 14th Street, Gainesville).
September 15 is National POW/MIA Remembrance Day and a recognition ceremony will be at this annual event. This event will have a number of resources to include employment assistance, housing resources, VA medical enrollment, medical screenings and education, Veterans benefits assistance, clothing resources, legal services, food stamp information and application, Social Services, and much more. The year’s event will be held Saturday, September 16, beginning at 10 a.m. at Veterans Memorial Park, 7430 S.W. 41st Place, in recognition of National POW/MIA Remembrance Day.
CAMPUS RESOURCE OF THE MONTH
Disability Resource Center
The Disability Resource Center in the Dean of Students Office utilizes knowledge and expertise in the fields of disability and higher education to create an inclusive environment by:
- Acting as a resource for students with physical, learning, sensory or psychological disabilities;
- Facilitating and providing support for reasonable accommodations for students in order to afford equal access to academic courses, programs, and activities;
- Providing services to address the impact of disabilities on student performance and success in and out of the classroom;
- Empowering students to articulate their strengths and advocate for their accommodations; and
- Creating opportunities to educate the campus community on disability laws, trends, universal design, programs, and services.
COLLEGIATE VETERANS SOCIETY
Please feel free to email the Collegiate Veterans Society at email@example.com or like them on Facebook. The Collegiate Veterans Society meets every other Wednesday in Yon Hall 418 starting August 23.
CAREER OPPORTUNITIES FOR STUDENT VETERANS
RBC is looking to recruit student veterans for internships. If you are interested, please visit Hugh 120 on Friday, September 8 at 11:30am. More information about RBC can be found online.
Meet employers before showcase at the Diversity Meet Up on Monday, September 25th at 5PM. This event is open to students from diverse and underrepresented populations and is meant to help boost confidence during a casual meet and greet with employers attending Career Showcase. Click the RSVP to register today!
Calling all Gators hoping to enter fields like accounting, health care, communications, education, sales, or retail. Career Showcase kicks off with non-technical day on Tuesday, September 26! For Gators pursuing computer science, engineering, information systems, research, and other technical fields. Day two of Career Showcase on Wednesday, September 27 is for you. Career Showcase will run from 9AM-3PM on both days and will be held in the O’Connell Center.
The Miami Veterans Job Fair will feature over 50 exhibitors for transitioning military, veterans, and their spouses to meet with recruiters. The fair will be held September 7 from 11AM-3PM in the Kovens Conference Center at Florida International University.
Birdies For the Brave ®
Proudly supported by the PGA TOUR, Birdies for the Brave ® is a national military outreach initiative dedicated to honoring and showing appreciation to the courageous men and women of the United States Armed Forces and their families. Birdies for the Brave ® is proud to support complimentary and discounted Military Ticketing throughout the PGA TOUR season.
Vet Tix provides tickets to events which reduce stress, strengthen family bonds, build life-long memories and encourage service members and veterans to stay engaged with local communities and American life. We support our troops by honoring their service and providing positive family and life experiences, during and after their years of service to our country.
Did you know that Veterans are eligible for a FREE 1-year Premium Job Seeker account on LinkedIn! Join the Veteran Mentor Network (VMN) Group and discuss your transition and career plans in a community of veterans.
UF students are now able to download full software copies to personal devices (desktops and laptops) of Office 2013 Professional Plus, Office 2011 for Mac, and Office for iPad at no charge. The Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus for Education program is available to all UF students with a valid GatorLink ID.
WOULD LIKE TO ADD INFORMATION TO OUR MONTHLY NEWSLETTER? IF SO, EMAIL VETSUCCESS@DSO.UFL.EDU.